My Power Rangers Relationship
I was seven years old on August 28, 1993 when Mighty Morphin Power Rangers first aired. But I don't remember how I initially heard about the show. I don't remember being the kid that ran home from school to watch cartoons; Power Rangers was the beginning of that from what I can remember. But it changed my life, along with everyone at school and the kids I played with on my block.
I was already into martial arts film courtesy of my father, so doing flips and kicks in the front yard was already something we did when I was seven, but Power Rangers amplified that by ten. When the schoolyard wasn't touch football, it was "Green With Evil". But kids "grow up" quick, and by ten I thought I was too old for Power Rangers. I fell off around a quarter in the Power Rangers Zeo which would have been around the summer of 1996 because girl were becoming cute and rap music was popping.
Like I said earlier, I remember being apart of Power Rangers from the beginning, somehow. So I was there when Zordon recruited five teenagers with attitude, the legendary "Green With Evil" sage (which changed our seven and eight year old worlds), "Green No More", "White Light", and "A Friend In Need" and remember them vividly. I also remmeber my older cousin taking me and my younger cousin to see "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie" in theaters and dressing up as the Red Ranger for Halloween one year.
Although I stopped watching Power Rangers not even halfway into its fourth season, unless a lot of people my age when they grew older, I never shitted on the franchise. I didn't watch it but I let it live. But around 2007 I found out that half of what I was so in love with was taken from Japan. I learned that Super Sentai was a thing. Back then there wasn't a way for me to get my hands on Sentai material, but I fell into a deep Wikipedia hole reading about it and the "Kamen Rider" franchise, which would adapted and given to us here in 1995 as "Mask Rider"; a show that looking back at it was nowhere near as good as Power Rangers was. I loosely stayed up on what was going on with Power Rangers. Very loosely. Mainly just knowing that it was still a thing.
Then in 2011 I seen that they were planning on rebooting the Power Rangers film franchise with a film about what happened before Angel Groove. All I'd seen for this was a poster "promotional" image and couldn't tell if it was real or fan made. But that did peek my interest in researching some Power Rangers information again, and again came across Sentai. By now, YouTube was bigger than it was in 2007 and I found multiple episodes of "Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger" on there and started watching them. "Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger" is the Sentai series that Heim Saban used for the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers that we got here in the states. This started something else. Now I was into Sentai, and went back twenty years from Zyuranger and started watching episodes of "Himitsu Sentai Gorenger", which was the first show in the Sentai franchise.
Skip three years later and I'm put onto podcasts by a coworker. Two years after that and Lionsgate is actually working on a Power Rangers reboot of the film franchise coming out in a year. So what do I do? Start searching my new thing, podcasts, for something Power Rangers related. The first one I came across was Ranger Danger: A Power Rangers Podcast, followed by Super Sentai Brothers. I came into Ranger Danger on episode three of Power Rangers Zeo which featured the Super Sentai Brothers and I've been with them every episode since. And since then I've come acorss The Morphin Grid, The Sentai Review, and 3blackgeeks podcast.
Because of the guys over at the Ranger Danger podcast, Mathew and Michael, I started watching old episodes of Power Rangers along with the podcast, as well as the newer seasons starting with Dino Charge. This drug me back in, and drug me in deep. Getting into the comics from Boom Studios, written by Kyle Higgins, buying toys, getting a Power Rangers tattoos, and even preparing for Power Morphicon 2018. This has turn into a Star Wars or Star Trek "Trekkie" situation where I'm loving the lore and digging into others' as well as creating my own head canon for the franchise.
As I was typing this I was texting my kid who somehow got excited when I was being the weird dad and showing my excitement about the 25th anniversary episode coming up August 28th. I've shown her a few episodes and we went to see the 2017 movie together (mainly because she was with me the weekend it was released and she was stuck going whether she wanted to or not), but I'm not exactly sure how she got into it enough to be excited about this. I wish she could, but unfortunately she isn't able to go to Power Morphicon with me, but I feel that would be something extremely fun.
But yeah... That's my Power Rangers rant that I've been wanting to go on for a few weeks now. Let's all hope that this Saban sell of Power Rangers to Hasbro gives us more, and good, Power Rangers with the "Beast Morphers" season coming next year and beyond. But until then...
May The Power Protect You!
P.S. Before I got I'd like to recommend some of my favorite Power Rangers seasons and episodes that you should watch if you haven't watched Power Rangers or fell off early like I did but want to know what all the hype is about amongst us nerds.
Seasons To Watch
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Seasons 1-3: Just to know where everything come from if you've never seen Power Rangers.
- Power Rangers Zeo
- Power Rangers Time Force
- Power Rangers S.P.D.
- Power Rangers R.P.M.
- Power Rangers Dino Charge
- Power Rangers Ninja Steel/Super Ninja Steel
Episodes To Watch
- Day Of The Dumpster (Mighty Morphin Season 1): Again, to see what started it all.
- Love, Peace and Woe (Mighty Morphin Season 1): One episode that always stuck with me since I first saw it.
- Green With Evil, Parts 1-5 (Mighty Morphin Season 1): C'mon! Tommy!
- The Green Candle, Parts 1 & 2 (Mighty Morphin Season 1)
- Trick or Treat (MIghty Morphin Season 1): PUMPKIN RAPPER!
- The Mutiny, Parts 1-3 (Mighty Morphin Season 2): The introduction of Lord Zedd.
- Green No More, Parts 1 & 2 (Mighty Morphin Season 2)
- White Light, Parts 1 & 2 (Mighty Morphin Season 2)
- The Ninja Encounter, Part 1-3 (Mighty Morphin Season 2): Introduction of Rocky, Adam, and Aisha.
- The Power Transfer, Parts 1 & 2 (Mighty Morphin Season 2)
- The Wedding, Part 1-3 (Mighty Morphin Season 2)
- A Friend In Need, Parts 1-3 (Mighty Morphin Season 3): Masked Rider setup episdoe.
- Ninja Quest, Part 1-4 (Mighty Morphin Season 3): NINJOR!
- A Ranger Catastrophe, Part 1 & 2 (Mighty Morphin Season 3): Instroduction of Cat.
- A Different Shade Of Pink, Parts 1-3 (Mighty Morphin Season 3)
- Rangers In Reverse (Mighty Morphin Season 3)
- A Zeo Beginning, Parts 1-2 (Zeo)
- The Power Of Gold (Zeo)
- Revelations Of Gold (Zeo)
- A Gold Homecoming (Zeo)
- Good As Gold (Zeo)
- The Millennium Message (Turbo)
- Passing The Torch, Parts 1 & 2 (Turbo)
- Trouble By The Slice (Turbo)
- Cassie's Best Friend (Turbo)
- Chase Into Space, Parts 1 & 2 (Turbo)
- Shell Shocked (In Space)
- Movie Madness, Parts 1 & 2 (Time Force)
- Reinforcements From The Future, Parts 1 & 2 (Wild Force)
- Forever Red (Wild Force)
- Resurrection (S.P.D.)
- Endings, Parts 1 & 2 (S.P.D.)
- Doctor K (RPM)
- Legendary Battle (Super Megaforce)
- Home Run Koda (Dino Super Charge)